Maryland Wine Education Seminars presented by the Tasters Guild International
What is the Tasters Guild? The Tasters Guild is a nationwide society of wine and food enthusiasts. They share a common interest through a wide variety of educational and social activities. Their quest is to educate consumers and spread the word of responsible wine and food consumption and they have fun doing it.
For more information about the Central Maryland chapter of the Tasters Guild, please visit their website at www.tastersguildmd.org.
Maryland Wineries Association
To learn more about the rich history of Maryland wine, wine making, and current wine events, please visit the Maryland Winery Association website http://www.marylandwine.com/home
Wine Tasting 101
- See - Hold the glass up at a slight angle and observe the wine’s brilliance and color.
- Swirl - Hold the base firmly on the table and give it a good swirl. This gets oxygen to the wine and helps it to “open up.”
- Smell - You’re checking to make sure the wine has not “turned” or been stored improperly. Smell for odors reminiscent of musty cardboard or vinegar, which means the wine is flawed and should be replaced. Don’t send back a wine just because you don’t like it. If the wine smells off to you, have your server smell it and they should happily replace it - but generally the wine will be just fine.
- Sip - Take a sip and enjoy!
Wines for each session
See the event staff in the seminar tent at the start of each session for the latest listing.
Schedule for Wine Education Seminars
Presenters: Dana Johnson, Yogi Barrett, Paul Bresson and Larry Elletson of the Tasters Guild Wine Education & Appreciation Society.
Noon - Wine Tasting 101
- Learn the basics of how to evaluate and appreciate wine, which wines to enjoy when, how to cellar your wine, how to preserve your wine and a wealth of other information.
1 PM - Maryland White Wines
- Learn the nuances of white wine, come to understand appropriate foods and events to enjoy white wine, proper serving temperature, learn the time frame most white wines should be consumed plus an array of other information relating to white wines.
2 PM - Maryland Red Wines
- Learn how best to cellar your red wines, food selections to go with certain varietals of red wines, proper room temperature for serving red wine, why red wines are more age-worthy than white wines and much, much more.
3 PM - Maryland Sweet and Dessert Wines
- During our final seminar we show you the difference of a sweet wine compared to a dessert wine, how sweet wines can be enjoyed and with what foods and how dessert wine fits into your meal planning. So come enjoy the “stickies,” as our Aussie cousins refer to them.
Saturday Noon: Wine Tasting 101
- Legends Winery - Pinot Gris
- Terrapin Station Winery - Dry Rose
- Layton’s Chance - Vidal Blanc
- Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyards - STOMP
- Fiore Winery - High Heel Slipper
Saturday 1 PM: White Wines
- Linganore Winecellars - Terrapin White
- Bordeleau Vinyeard and Winery - Unoaked Chardonnay
- Basignani Winery - Montbray Seyval Blanc
- Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyards - Pinot Grigio
- St. Michael’s Winery - Golly Wobbler White
Saturday 2 PM: Red Wines
- Pen Oaks Winery - Montepulciano
- Knob Hall Winery - Rose Reserve
- Cygnus Wine Cellars - Cabernet Sauvignon
- Basignani Winery - Erik’s Big Zin
- Fiore Winery - Chambourcin
Saturday 3 PM: Dessert Wines
- Berrywine Plantations - Strawberry
- Basignani Winery - Riesling
- Slack Winery - Danny Boy Danny
- Running Hare Vineyards - Chambourcin Dessert
- Woodhall Wine Cellars - Vidal Blanc (Angler White)
Sunday Noon: Wine Tasting 101
- Dejon Vineyards - Vidal
- Cygnus Wine Cellars - Royele Hampton Cuvee Brut Rose
- Perigeaux Vinyard - Chardonnay
- Fiore Winery - Zinnavo
- Little Ashby - Port
Sunday 1 PM: White Wines
- Serpent Ridge Vineyard - Albarino
- Solomons Island Winery - Sauvignon Blanc
- Harford Vineyard and Winery - Viognier
- Cove Point Winery - Pinot Gris
- Thanksgiving Farm - Franc Blanc
Sunday 2 PM: Red Wines
- Serpent Ridge Winery - Basilisk
- Friday’s Creek Winery - Syrah
- Elk Run Vineyards - Cabernet Sauvignon
- Woodhall Wine Cellars - Parkton Prestige
- Sugerloaf Mountain Vineyards - COMUS
Sunday 3 PM: Dessert Wines
- Perigeaux Vineyard and Winery - Muscato
- Solomon’s Island Winery - Riesling Ice Wine
- Elk Run Vineyards - Sweet Catherine
- Port of Leonardtown Winery - Autumn Frost
- Far Eastern Shore Winery - Swans Dream (Port Style)